My worst learning experience was my Algebra Class in high school. My teacher, one of the smartest mathematicians at Annapolis High, couldn't understand why many of her students dropped or failed her class. I'll take some credit, I'm about as mathematically inclined as pocket lint. But I think it has something to do with her 1:35 student: teacher ratio, or that she taught 3 to 4 lessons a day, or the fact that she never let anyone use the bathroom. It’s difficult for me to learn math in any environment, especially one where questions are met with impatience and bladders are met with denial.
My best education came not from school, but from experience. When I think about what moment in my educational career stands out, or which teacher taught me lessons that I carry with me today, I honestly can't think of a single one. What I do remember are the times in my life where I had to learn without instructors. I’ve learned how to manage money and prioritize by coming from a low income family. I’ve learned how deal with stress, handle my emotions, and be compassionate. These things can only be learned by yourself, in a dynamic environment that gives you the freedom to improvise.
Word count:200
No comments:
Post a Comment