Monday, September 13, 2010

Discovery Outside the Book


I was in 6th grade when I discovered my love of reading books. My family took my extensive reading as a sign of academic success, but mostly I read fantasy novels that do not contain usable knowledge for the real world. Throughout middle school I was that kid in the back of class poured over a book instead of paying attention to what the teacher was saying. Reading took up most of my time and interest, and I never really minded not being the most social person in school. However, 9th grade changed many things for my life. I was pushed to join the Annapolis High school’s volleyball team by my mother, and I was going to a different high school than most of my friends. Volleyball practice was the longest waking part of my day that I went without reading. Being physically engaged for 4 hours was a new experience for an inactive bookworm. I began to realize that by spending most of my time in other people's adventures, I had neglected to experience my own. Ever since then I have moderated the amount of time I spend reading books for fun and use that time to explore my own world.

word count:200

No comments:

Post a Comment